Sunday, February 15, 2015

Freedom

I was recently preparing for the Ezra Taft Benson lesson #3, "Freedom of Choice, an Eternal Principle." I read through the lesson and then I read 3 of the referenced talks from the lesson notes (The Ensign article from a BYU devotional address: The Constitutions-A Glorious Standard, Sept. 1987; Not Commanded in All Things, April 1965; and Protecting Freedom—An Immediate Responsibility, Oct. 1966). Instead of being able to go to Relief Society and share the lessons I learned I was asked to substitute in primary (by 2 different teachers, so I know I was supposed to be in primary last week!). I learned so much though that I wanted to share my thoughts here!:) Maybe they will be of benefit to someone!!:)

My first thought actually comes from the book. Ezra Taft Benson shares the scripture from D&C 58, "he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant." God feels our agency is so important that he won't tell us everything that we are supposed to do. So why do we feel that we need to micromanage everyone else around us? I see this happening in HOAs. I know of 2 HOAs, one in Lehi and one in Herriman. With a big desire to make sure their house value doesn't go down, they "compel" everyone in the neighborhood to be the same...you must have so many small, medium, and large bushes in your front yard...you can't have fruit trees (because fruit falls on the ground)...etc. and if you don't we are going to fine you. Another one is common core. Everyone must learn the same thing at the same time. These feel very similar to Satan's plan to me. "Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down;" (Moses 4:3) Ezra Taft Benson later said, "Those spiritually alert look at the objectives, check the guidelines laid down by the Lord and his prophets, and then prayerfully act—without having to be commanded “in all things.” This attitude prepares men for godhood."  So often we think we have all the answers and know what is best for everyone, when really we know what is best for our family. 

I love this quote from the BYU devotional address: "If we accept the premise that human rights are granted by government, then we must be willing to accept the corollary that they can be denied by government. I, for one, shall never accept that premise. We must ever keep in mind the inspired words of Thomas Jefferson, as found in the Declaration of Independence:
“We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights; that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”  How scary is that, if we allow the government to give us our basic rights, we also allow them to take away those rights...life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness...

As I watch the laws being put into effect in our country I think how far we are staying from the Constitution: "The powers the people granted to the three branches of government were specifically limited. The Founding Fathers well understood human nature and its tendency to exercise unrighteous dominion when given authority. A Constitution was therefore designed to limit government to certain enumerated functions, beyond which was tyranny."  I see conditions similar to Pre WW2 in the United States and I wonder if we too will accept a Hitler figure by degrees. 

Ezra Taft Benson then asks if we have held true to the principles contained in the Constitution and declares that we have not.  He says if we want to save the Constitution we must do 4 things: 1 -We must be righteous and moral. 2-We must learn the principles of the Constitution and then abide by its precepts. 3- We must become involved in civic affairs. 4-We must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, and our advice.  I know that I definitely have some work to do on these instructions.

From his talk in 1965: "The devil knows that if the elders of Israel should ever wake up, they could step forth and help preserve freedom and extend the gospel. Therefore the devil has concentrated, and to a large extent successfully, in neutralizing much of the priesthood. He has reduced them to sleeping giants."  What a wake up call for me that was.  How am I standing up for my freedoms?  Am I just leaving it to other people?  Am I allowing my freedoms to be taken bit by bit because I am too scared or busy to stand up for truth?

From his talk in 1966: "Efforts are being made to deprive man of his free agency, to steal from the individual his liberty . . . There has been an alarming increase in the abandoning of the ideals that constitute the foundation of the Constitution of the United States"  Remember this was given back in 1966.  If our freedoms were being robbed back then they are even more so now.

How are we standing up for our freedoms?  I know I need to be better.  I need to write to my senators/representatives and tell them how I feel.  I need to be more educated on exactly what our freedoms should be.  The constitution was an inspired document (if you don't believe me read, "Plain, Honest Men: The Making of the American Constitution") we need to adhere to the principles that were fought for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site stats

Background